Sunday, November 21, 2010

Never Too Early...

I have recently had to defend my love for all-things-Christmas celebrated in November. "But its not even Thanksgiving yet! You can't be listening to Christmas music..." "Can't we enjoy Thanksgiving before we start buying Christmas gifts..." "Shouldn't you find a nice Turkey platter before you spend time looking for the perfect nativity scene?"

To that I say: Poppy cock! (I apologize if in some countries this is a curse. It only seemed fitting.)

I love Christmas music, and lights, and trees, and the smells, and the togetherness of Christmas. And I don't mind arguing with you about the desire to celebrate that in November (or October even :)

But this post was not meant to be a semi-serious rant...All jest aside, as I sit sipping my Chai in Starbucks, I am currently familiarizing myself with some songs that I will have the chance to sing alongside the Gaithers soon :) And in my study of the notes, the lyrics ended up ringing louder than the melody. And I realized that no matter when you decide to celebrate Christmas, it's never too early to do so. Because in the celebrating of Christmas, you are making much of Christ. The Christmas story is as relevant in March as it is in December...the manger is as beautiful when sung about in cold weather as it is in your car on a summer day. The message is the same: While we were lost, with no hope, God made a way. God sent His only Son to become an atonement for our sin. And Christ left heaven...put on flesh and dwelt among us so that He could live and die and live again for God to be glorified through a relationship between man and Himself. You see, the story of Mary, and Joseph, and the shepherds, and Jesus is so much bigger than the manger. It's a story of redemption. Of reconciliation. It's a tale of Sovereignty and grace. It's love in its purest form. This story is a story of the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. This story is about the day Christ came. Its about the day that He entered our world forever. And it's the only story worth telling. And it's never too early to start...

If you don't know the story, I'd love to tell you.


Merry Christmas and Happy Thanksgiving :)



1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said. I told someone the other day that Christmas is the ultimate love story -- and I think you captured that amazingly! Happy belated Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete