Fact: It is impossible for me to make it through a Narnia viewing without completely falling apart. And I don't mean one glistening tear streaming down my face. No ma'am, I'm talking red, puffy face, covered with snot and an inability to keep from doing the whole multiple-quick-inhalations-as-you-try-to-breathe-normally breaths. A total mess.
But I think it's because those stories speak to the deepest desires of my heart. As Lucy shamelessly throws herself onto the big, beautiful mane of Aslan in total despair as she processes the thought of never seeing Him again, I share her sentiment. As Edmund slays the sea serpent with a magical sword powered by Aslan's might, something in my soul leaps. And as Prince Capsian bravely returns to Narnia knowing that he has been chosen to lead a kingdom and to love those people, my heart swells. Because it speaks to the very nature of who we are. C.S. Lewis beautifully portrays in these fairy tales the very essence of the human heart...and the beauty of our King.
Tonight, my heart is overwhelmed that such a great God would be so intimate. That He would speak to our hearts as He does. And know us as His children. Always good. Always faithful. And something within me is so desperate tonight to physically feel Him. To lay my head on His chest...to feel Him really wipe away a tear...to get lost in an embrace...to hold His strong hand. Oh, I ache for it. But what a sweet ache. My faith only grows tonight...I believe with all of my heart and soul that one day, this race will be run and I will get my wish. One day, this fight will be over, and I will drop my sword. For there will be no need for it anymore. And I will run swiftly into the arms of my King. That's a moment I live for. And it is a moment that I would gladly die for... I serve a mighty King. A sweet Master. And I cannot wait until the day that I see Him face to face. Thank you C.S. Lewis, for making that longing a little more vivid tonight.
"Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.” John 10:7-18
Mr. Tumnus: [of Aslan] He's not a tame lion.
Lucy Pevensie: No... but He is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


i'm with you girl, all the way:) i loved this post!
ReplyDeleteoh i love that quote you mentioned at the end of your post. cs lewis...thank you. well said, kaylie! merry christmas, too!
ReplyDelete